Bread pudding: What it is and easy recipe
The bread pudding is a sweet and soft texture traditional dessert, which is made with bread crumbs, milk, eggs, sugar and fruit.
Although traditionally it is known by the name of bread pudding, depending on the country in which we find ourselves can also find other names or designations, such as pudding (it is well known in Central and South America).
It becomes a traditional and classic dessert, which is a sweet dessert typical of English cuisine usually, composed of breadcrumbs, which depending on the country where we are may also include cake, rice … It is common that in its development also added other typical ingredients, as the egg, mixed fruit and custard.
In fact, today we can distinguish a wide variety of puddings. But basically it is a sweet made with bread, milk, eggs and fruits. It is also possible salty variants, accompanied by sausages.
Although can be made all year, the fact is that we are facing a typical Christmas dessert, making it a wonderful choice for Christmas parties.
As regards its organoleptic qualities (that is, its taste, texture and appearance) is a dessert with an appetizing appearance reminiscent of a pudding or cottage cheese, sweet flavor and soft texture.
The truth is that its preparation is actually very simple. And this time we will learn to prepare a home-made traditional bread pudding. Do you dare to prepare it? It will take in preparing about 1 hour, and cook about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Homemade bread pudding recipe
- 600 gm bread
- 1 liter milk
- 500 gm sugar + 150 gm sugar
- 4 eggs 5 egg yolks
- 80 gm canned fruit
- 1.5 liter water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 handful raisins.
Steps to make bread pudding:
- One day before preparing the bread pudding, crumbles the bread and place it in a big bowl. Add 1 liter milk and let soak for 24 hours.
- Spent the day in a pan put 500 gm sugar, water, cinnamon stick and 3 cloves and let boil for about 1 minute. Remove the syrup from the heat and set aside until cool slightly.
- Mix 4 eggs with 5 egg yolks and then wraps the syrup with spices, stirring constantly.
- Strain the mixture with the aid of a sieve and incorporate it to bread.
- Add the canned fruit.
- Meanwhile put the remaining sugar (150 grams of sugar) in a saucepan with a few drops of water and bring to a boil until a kind of light-colored candy forms. When ready pour it into a special mold for pudding.
- Pour entire mixture into the pudding and add a handful of raisins on top.
- Bake in a water bath at 180° C for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- After this time, when ready, booking letting it cool slightly.
How to eat bread pudding?
It is customary to eat warm or slightly warm bread pudding and accompany it on top with a little more caramel or cream. On the other hand, it is also common to accompany a good cup of tea with milk, or even just eating alone.
On the other hand, it becomes a nutritious dessert that can be a good choice for breakfast and snacks, especially for the kids in the house.