Watermelon is a wonderful fruit, full of water, benefits and nutritious properties. Discover all its qualities and why it is so good for health. It will surprise you.
When it comes to fighting high temperatures, it is very important to drink at least two liters of water in order to keep our whole body hydrated. For this, we can go to fruits that are composed of almost 90% of water while at the same time we ingest all kinds of vitamins and minerals that are most beneficial to our health.
And a good example of this is found in watermelon, a fruit of the ‘Cucurbitaceae’ family that originated in Africa, but throughout the 20th century its consumption began to expand in other continents of the world thanks to its sweet and characteristic flavor. In fact, watermelon seeds also bring many benefits to our health.
In fact, its cultivation is usually carried out along the entire Mediterranean coast so that the fruits begin to bloom during the months of June and July. For this reason, we do not have to say that watermelon should be taken especially in summer, a season that invites us to freshen up with this fruit in those days where temperatures can perfectly surpass 40 degree.
Know the nutritional values of watermelon
After having known the origins and how to grow this reddish fruit of the most special, it is high time to delve into the different nutritional values that watermelon brings. If you are really interested in knowing them, we are going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines:
Rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium
The truth is that few fruits are a great source of all kinds of elements like watermelon. For example, magnesium will give us a kick of extra energy after intense physical activity. Calcium is essential for all bones and joints to be the most resistant throughout our lives.
While thanks to potassium, it will balance our blood pressure. On the other hand, the phosphorus helps to improve the whole intestinal calculation among some of its many benefits.
With a high content of vitamin A and C
As with orange and tangerine, for example, watermelon is also a fruit that has a high content of vitamin C, a nutrient that seems to be of vital importance now that winter is peeking out on the horizon.
This is because it is a nutrient that will strengthen all of our defenses and that will get us less exposed to colds and flu. On the other hand, vitamin A also promotes the development of tissues related to the retina so it is an essential nutrient to improve our eyesight.
It is hypocaloric
Another great advantage of watermelon is that it is a low-calorie fruit. What does this mean? Surely many will ask. For a portion of 100 grams of watermelon contains only 20 calories.
Therefore, it is a food to take into account for those athletes who want to hydrate or simply for those people who love fruit that they do not want to neglect their line.
Nutritional Values of Watermelon
Nutritional information of watermelon, per 100 grams:
- Energy: 20.3 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 grams
- Proteins: 0.4 grams
- Fats: traces
- Minerals: magnesium (11 mg), potassium (88.5 mg), iron (0.2 mg), calcium (7 mg)
- Vitamins: Vitamin A (37 mcg), vitamin C (8 mcg), folic acid (3 mcg)
- Fiber: 0.3 grams
- Betacarotene: 18 mcg.
What other benefits does watermelon bring?
Have you stayed with more desire to know some other benefits that the watermelon brings? Well then you will have no choice but to continue to accompany us through this last paragraph:
- Watermelon is a potent antioxidant. This is because it is an inexhaustible source of what is known as ‘lycopene’, a substance that will help us to stay younger with a much stronger cardiovascular and nervous system.
- It is a very diuretic fruit. Because it is made up of 91% water, watermelon is one of the most diuretic fruits in existence. Therefore, it is a food to be taken into account for all those people who suffer from fluid retention.
- It cleans our entire urinary system. As we have already mentioned in the first point, watermelon has a high content of potassium, an element that helps to clean and eliminate all the toxins that are deposited in the bladder.
Properties of watermelon, in brief
Below we summarize what are the main benefits of watermelon. Take note:
- Hydrates and remineralizes, thanks to its high water content.
- It has a broad antioxidant power thanks to its substance called lycopene.
- It is ideal for low-calorie diets by having only 20 calories per 100 grams.
- It helps to purify the organism.
- Stimulates diuresis.