Porridge is a recipe arrival in England, where it is common to consume at breakfast for its nutritional richness and interesting energy intake. It is basically a kind of oatmeal porridge or mashed, cooked with water or milk. Thanks to its versatility can then incorporate fruits (such as banana, apple, coconut, pear, strawberries, and berries) or nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, raisins, almonds).
It is also possible to find varieties vegan or vegetarian,, where the milk is replaced by vegetable drinks, such as rice milk, soy milk or almond milk. As a sweetener we can choose sugar, brown sugar or honey, whole cane, or even consume it without sweetening and only take advantage of the sweetener qualities of the fruit or dried fruit added to the original recipe as additional ingredients.
What are the benefits of porridge?
The porridge is a recipe high in essential nutrients, in addition to providing other very interesting benefits for health. Therefore it is suitable to consume each morning.
High nutritional value
This is a recipe rich in nutrients, among which we can mention:
- Complex carbohydrates: It provides satiety, providing a much more prolonged satiating effect. It is therefore useful to consume at breakfast, and gives us the energy that our body needs throughout the morning.
- Fiber: The porridge is rich in soluble fiber, which provides satiety, it helps reduce cholesterol and regulate intestinal transit, preventing constipation.
- Omega-6: It is an unsaturated fatty acid that helps reduce fat levels in the blood.
- Vitamins: Especially highlights vitamins B (B1 and B2) and vitamin E.
- Minerals: Provides especially magnesium, zinc, potassium, calcium and iron.
The porridge is rich in soluble fiber and beta glucan, a beneficial compound for our cardiovascular system. Both nutrients are effective when reducing the levels of high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, given that in the case of beta-glucan is capable of absorbing cholesterol and bile acids from the intestine.
In addition, with its rich in omega-6 unsaturated fatty acids is an ideal recipe for lowering LDL cholesterol while increasing HDL cholesterol.
Useful for constipation
In case of constipation, regular consumption of porridge is ideal for relief, precisely because they are high in soluble fiber.
This type of fiber is ideal in cases of constipation, as it helps facilitate and regulate intestinal transit, improving it in a completely natural way.
It helps to control sugar levels in the blood
When the porridge is consumed alone, with milk or water and it does not add any sweetener, it is perfect for people with diabetes, since oats, because it contains complex carbohydrates, help control sugar levels in the blood and passing it slowly, not abruptly.